SHOP MANAGER & BUYER
Poster House is seeking a full-time Shop Manager and Buyer with management, sales, merchandising, e-commerce, and inventory management experience. This position is charged with overseeing daily Shop operations, which include managing shop staff and e-commerce activity, providing exceptional customer service for all guests, implementing inventory controls, and assisting in the buying of product and merchandising initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding in management and curation, art/design history related to posters, with an interest in graphic design. The Shop Manager and Buyer will look to advance the understanding and appreciation of Poster House through posters, publications, and Poster House branded products thereby increasing profits, while supporting staff to meet and exceed sales and project goals.
Shop Day-to-Day Operations:
– Manage day-to-day shop operations including but not limited to; ensure floor coverage for all open hours and lunch breaks, maintain shop schedule, delegate tasks and ensure Online Shop orders are processed.
– Oversee register opening and closing procedures: ensure cash handling is secure and cash is available for change.
– Oversee cash drops to accounting.
– Supervise Shop Staff providing training, education, coaching, and mentorship to optimize productivity and increase sales.
– Regular presence on the sales floor for sales and customer support and to provide coverage when necessary.
– Address customer complaints/feedback in a professional manner. Oversee product returns/exchanges are handled properly.
– Monitor combined shop and online sales revenue making every effort to maximize efficiency and profits.
– Analyzes sales performance of items by category, and strategizes with the Director of Retail Operations on best profit and marketing practices to increase revenue.
– Recruit and hire new shop staff.
– Conduct monthly check-ins and reviews, and provide performance feedback where necessary. Evaluate positions and seek to provide opportunities to grow in their positions.
– Uphold compliance with all legal, health, and safety guidelines. Including Poster House Human Resource and security protocols.
– Protect against loss by monitoring security, training staff and working with security staff and Operations Director on established protocols.
– Work with Client Services and Membership Manager on Membership promotions and training.
– Coordinate with the Director of Retail Operations on all inventory procedures including facilitating and planning annual inventory, and monthly merchandise spot count checks.
Buyer Related Responsibilities:
– Assist Director of Retail Operations on all merchandising aspects including actively participating in shop re-dos, and overseeing stocking and straightening throughout a sales day.
– Work with Director of Retail Operations to source Poster House merchandise such as Posters, books, accessories, and other related items. This includes:
– Attend relevant trade shows, galleries, and make design/artist studio visits.
– Develop relationships with vendors, designers and artists in order to advance the merchandising offerings in the shop and online shop which can include creating limited edition products or planning events such as book signings.
– Creative discussions and design planning on unique Poster House branded merchandise and limited editions.
– Work with Marketing Manager to create social media campaigns while including Shop staff in this process to maximize creativity and unity.
– Oversee the production of merchandise photography when needed, or source high resolution photos from vendors.
– Produce and evaluate merchandise text content, and upload accurate photos and content to web pages.
– Liaise with Poster House Design Director to ensure all shop webpages follow Poster House communications guidelines.
Requirements and Qualifications:
– Five to ten years history as retail manager or in other managerial position
– Strong working knowledge of management best practices.
– Solid communication and interpersonal skills.
– Exceptional organization, strategic planning, and leadership skills.
– Strong style sense and an eye for merchandising.
– Familiarity with data analysis and customer traffic principles.
– Computer skills, including retail management software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
– Lifting and/or carrying of up to 10-20 pounds (shipping cartons, products, shipping materials, other).
– Bending and reaching in order to stock and retrieve products.
Location and Hours:
The Shop Manager and Buyer is a full-time position located at Poster House 119 W 23rd Street, New York, NY 10011.
Hours will be 5 days a week 10 am to 6 pm. Weekends, evenings, and Museum events are essential schedule requirements for this position.
Start date: March 1, 2020.
Please send resume & cover letter to email@example.com
Poster House collaborates with outside curators and researchers to develop exhibitions for the museum. We seek out individuals who have special knowledge of a field, and we accept proposals for poster-related exhibitions on a rolling basis. Please note that Poster House only displays original, first printings of posters, and that we define a poster as a street-facing notice meant to persuade.
Poster House provides a stipend, exhibition design support, and installation assistance; however, the concept, research, budget allocation, and loan arrangements are fully developed by the individual. If you have a proposal for an exhibition, submit a 300 word essay outlining the thesis statement of the show as well as your research approach and experience in the field.
Email all submissions and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we are fully booked for exhibitions through 2024.